Sunday, November 17, 2013

please use other door

I make a point of avoiding
back entrances
side doors
and alternate routes into buildings

maybe it's my innate fear
of getting in trouble. 
of somehow mistaking one door
for another;
being somewhere
I'm not supposed to be. 

(and really, what would happen?
self-deprecating laugh---reddening cheeks--apology---door closed---life goes on)

or perhaps it's my tendency to
barrel headlong into situations,
to face everything straight on. 

I detest all that is sneaking
and passive aggressive and implied. 
subtleties do not impress me. 
beating around the bush (or walking around the building) is not my style. 

or, perhaps it is the simple
pride buried deep within my chest. 
avoiding the moment of embarrassment. 

because what is more humiliating than confidently striding up to a door,
self-assuredly pulling the handle--
only to find it locked?

all your vanity and self-possession
left with you
abruptly outside
in the cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment