Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Restin' Peace

it's going to take more time to let this die
it was and is inevitable--
though you find it unnecessary--
it makes sense. 
you, older, more world-wise,
less soft. 
me, young, inexperienced (almost wholly)

you kissed me in your basement
urgently, as if it was
in spite of yourself 
(I taste the spite)
I was just happy to be kissed--
to feel pretty again (after a long draught of insecurity)
 
and there it was. 
irreversible. 

(not that to you it amounted to enough to necessitate being reversible
...until perhaps the side effects showed up)

this perfect imbalance 

you, so strongly deemphasizing 
(it meant nothing more than animal instinct)
me, almost comically overemphasizing
(it meant too much, emotions stampeding in)

nothing can exist so lopsided. 

in forty years, who knows who I'll have kissed
whose lips will have grazed and graced mine--
this clash of your regrettable momentary indisgression 
and my uncalled for reverence will be
less than a memory
if anything at all. 

but as it stands,
you are boy number three
and hold the title of
Most Recently Kissed. 

I don't ask a lot. 
just a quiet understanding
patience with the grieving process.
and maybe some respect for the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment