Friday, March 21, 2014

3.14159265359 (3-14-14)

I've never been a math person,
usually shrugging off my profound lack of interest
in such things as an inability to perform.

Bits and pieces of my math education
come back, flooding in as disjointed memories;
snapshots of a mere moment with no context.
The Pythagorean theorem?
A squared plus B squared equals C squared.
When is this necessary? I wonder, and think
it seems to me it has something to do with finding area. or distance. or something.

These equations memorized and forgotten
as quickly as the last answer was written on the test.

We hold so dearly onto things that we need.
But as soon as they become unnecessary,
their importance fades
quickly and quietly, putting up almost no fight at all.

And as I sit, thinking of how much time I have spent
Needing people who did not need me in return,
I wonder when their importance will fade.
And if it doesn't, what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment