Friday, March 21, 2014

as if i didn't know you (3-15-14)

I slip in between the lines and
through the cracks of your words
hearing the catch in your voice;
the mistrust and anxiety desperately fighting to
stay undercover--and failing.

I know you now almost as well as myself
and it's almost offensive that
you think I don't know and instantly recognize
the nuances of your phraseology and intricacies
of the way you say, "nothing," when I know in fact
there is something the matter.

don't you dare try to hide behind
walls you're scrambling to rebuild around yourself
when we have spent so many months
painstakingly tearing them down,
exposing what is true and honest, and allowing
vulnerability to have its seat among us.

it's not as if I didn't know you.
but if you want it that way,
I won't know you anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment