Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Revision: 4400 Deer View Road, Downstairs, On the Right

It wasn't exactly supposed to be a bedroom
It was probably intended to be more like
a small toyroom
a storage room
or a sitting room.
That's not to say I was mistreated.
although I never understood why
my twin sister
demanding her own room
meant me moving
down the hall
into the smaller room.
But after a while, I was glad I got the room
because it was my own.
It had one big picture window
that looked out onto the yard.
Of course, the window did start at ground level
so the only thing I saw was the dirt underneath
the deck.
It had just enough room to squeeze in
one trundle bed
one bureau
and one nightstand.
It went through a lot of themes.
Jungle first
complete with a potted palm tree
and neon green, high-gloss walls.
Then dragons
I am not sure why that ever happened
it was a boy's bedspread
black dragons with Asian script.
After that was Hawaiian
bright blues and greens
with hibiscus flowers.
During all of these stages,
the walls were covered in
band posters, movie posters
my favorite poems.
What made 14-year-old me me.

And then we moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment