Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Revision: The View from Five Foot, Eleven Inches Tall

The tree in the front yard of my childhood home
doesn’t look as big as it used to.

In fact, I would be able to touch the big branch
I used to only dream of reaching
and I wouldn’t even have to stand on my tiptoes.

The world that seemed so full of wonder
doesn’t look as big as it used to, either.

As my I have grown, so has my
understanding that life doesn’t turn out
the way that you imagined it as a child.

But standing under this tree
in my old yard
under the same sun I stood under
so many years ago
I don’t feel that I’ve changed much at all.
I can feel the excitement of looking
up into the glorious blue sky
and knowing that if I reached the top
of the tree, I could
touch God’s fingertips with mine.

Trees keep you grounded.
They help you remain who you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment